Final Wire? What is this so called final wire ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wallywest

Final Wire? What is this so called final wire ?

#1 Post by wallywest »

My ortho said the next appointment I am getting the final wire? I do not know if this is a tease and the final wire keeps going on and on but I have only been in treatment for 6 and I was estimated 2 years.

Has any one else had their final wire and if so approximately how long ?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I've heard that some people get what's called a "finishing wire" which retains and settles your teeth and bite. But, from what I've read, it's only on a few months. Your ortho could mean that you are receiving the last wire for your particular treatment. You can have that wire in your mouth for the duration of your treatment--however long that may be.

I honestly can't remember the last time my wires were changed. I think the wire on my bottom arch has been there nearly a year.

TigerLily

#3 Post by TigerLily »

I am in month 20 and have had my final wire on for about 6 months. It was my second or third rectangular archwire and is really thick. Apparently I needed that for my elastics (I started elastics on the wire before that). It hasn't been touched for ages. The first appointment after it was put on, it was taken off, twists put in it, then put back on.

It's so thick everyone clocks my braces with it on whilst before hardly anyone commented (ceramic braces). Necessary evil.

wallywest

#4 Post by wallywest »

thanks for your input Tumbledrylow and Tigerlily,
yeah I am thinking i am going to be one of those people in the final wire for a while. This stage of braces is so boring when there is hardly any movement, you start losing faith in them.

Jewles

#5 Post by Jewles »

I just got final wires and he told me I would be in them for the next 8 months. I got just as excited as you did before he mentioned the whole 8 months thing to me :P

changes09

#6 Post by changes09 »

I've been in my finale wires for about three months now, and I'll probably have them on for another 3 months. This part of braces is boring. Your teeth for the msot part are straigh and in position. Now they are just working on your bight.

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

The final wires can be on for along time depending on the type of braces system used and the amount of elastic wear needed, etc.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Sleclerc

#8 Post by Sleclerc »

Im seven months into braces and at my next adjustment I am due my final wire as well:-) Im scared to ask for how much longer...It really has flown bye and was the best decision Ive made in a long time:-)

dawnmarie

#9 Post by dawnmarie »

I'm also getting a finishing wire at my next appt. I was told 3-4 months with it on as long as no gaps appear in the meantime.
upper and lower expander - August 6th, 2008
Damon braces - February 19th, 2009
upper and lower expander removed - April 2nd, 2009
Next appointment - March 3rd, 2010